Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Clocks,  Bridges and Nature, Oh My!
February 4, 2014
 
I hope you're well and have had an enjoyable week. What a fun week and weekend I've had... New York City in some balmy weather...sunny and warm(er) than it's been in Central New York!! My cousin and I had tickets to the Metropolitan Opera for a performance of Puccini's MADAM BUTTERFLY. The voices were superb, the costumes and colors vibrant and the story...tragic. Interestingly, they used puppets to represent two children as in the photo below... they were eerily lifelike! The puppeteers were in black in the background.

 
This weeks art challenges were most enjoyable. For example, COLLAGE OBSESSION asked for "bridges" and I didn't get to it until late...so, I'm posting my entries here instead of on the C.O. group site... Since I was in NYC, I looked out of my cousin's window in Brooklyn and this was the picture I saw...I can see both the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges...


then, I remembered an incredible bridge we saw while we were in the Mekong Delta in Vietnam...called a monkey bridge because it seems that only a monkey could make it across. They're typically made of a only a few bamboo logs and one handrail. But, the name really comes from the stooped monkey-like posture people had to maintain when crossing, so as not to plunge into the river below. There aren't many of these bridges left...only in the remotest areas.
The current COLLAGE OBSESSION theme is to create a piece showing one of nature's homes...
SUNDAY POSTCARD ART requested art about Italy. I took one of my many photos and created this... from Venice with love!
Clocks were of interest to the TAKE A WORD challenge blog...
Finally, Flicker's DIGITALMANIA group introduced us to artist Anna Higgie, who does interesting collages. Here's one of hers...
 and here's what she inspired me to create...
Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope you like what you see...and will stop by again!
Enjoy your week...
 
Big Hugs,
abbyj

7 comments:

  1. These are terrific, Abby, especially the monkey bridge abd the final collage...what a fantastic creature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love them all. You have such a good eye and sense of design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow! so many amazing images, each perfect for the prompt! beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have created many beautiful art works. Love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very creative entry for the TM challenge, Abby, and I love what you did in Anna Higgie's style for DM. Nice work, my dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I mean it, I absolutely love everything you have done here, all so off-beat and created in ways that no-one else would ever think of. I think they are all wonderful, and I will look up the work of Anna Higgie, and think the collage she inspired you to create is wonderful.
    It is so interesting to read about that bridge - and as for Madame Butterfly, Oh how lucky you are. We love it, have seen it a few times, have CDs and a wonderful DVD with Japanese singers. I only have to hear the introduction and the tears spring to my eyes, and that very last note is wonderful. I wonder who the soprano was in the production you saw?
    I enjoyed this full rich post so much. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Abby, I have just looked up Anna Higgie and am blown away by her collages. Thank you for the information about her, so kind of you to share.

    ReplyDelete